Financial Aid


Students must apply for financial aid each academic year (July 1 – June 30). All current and prospective students are encouraged to complete and submit the 2019-2020 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available at beginning October 1, 2018, and the NSC Scholarship Application, available at between December 15, 2018 and April 15, 2019. Students who complete the FAFSA by the priority date of January 15, 2019 have a better opportunity of receiving a more advantageous award package.  Students who apply after the priority date may not be considered for some NSC grants, which are awarded on a first come, first served basis.  The Federal Pell Grant is considered an entitlement, and those eligible will be awarded even if applying after the priority date.

Finally, it is important to promptly submit all documentation requested by the financial aid office (check your MyNSC Student Center "To Do List"). Your financial aid application cannot be processed until all requested documents are received. All required documents must be received by NSC Financial Aid prior to the last day of the period of enrollment for which you are seeking financial aid. If you plan to use financial aid as your primary source of payment, you should submit all requested documents to NSC Financial Aid no later than four (4) weeks prior to the tuition due date.  If you do not have enough accepted financial aid on your account to cover your bill by the due date, you will need to pay your balance or create a payment plan and make all required payments so that your registration is not cancelled for nonpayment.  You will then receive your financial aid as a reimbursement when it is processed.  Go to MyNSC Student Center to check your amount due, view your financial aid awards, make payments or create a payment plan.

For an overview of the types of aid available and eligibility requirements, please see

Courses Eligible for Financial Aid

Only those courses that apply towards a student's declared major or minor will be considered eligible for financial aid funding. Additionally, after passing a course with a grade of D- or better, a student can only be funded for one subsequent repeat of the same course. Finally, students can only receive funding for a maximum of 30 credits of remedial or prerequisite coursework. Please view the complete repeat policy at

Students who are enrolled in modular courses that do not span the entire length of the semester will have their enrollment reviewed after their latest add/drop date during the semester. Any changes to enrollment (including add, drop or withdrawal) made prior to the latest add/drop date may require a recalculation and subsequent increase or decrease to funds previously awarded. This may result in a balance owing to NSC or the U.S. Department of Education.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements

Students are required to make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) towards the completion of their degree program in order to receive federal, state or institutional financial aid. NSC measures SAP using both qualitative standards (minimum 2.0 cumulative NSC GPA) and quantitative standards (70 % minimum pace of completion). Students must also complete their programs within a “maximum timeframe,” which is defined as 150% of the normal time required to complete the program. For example, students in a bachelor’s program requiring 120 credits will be suspended from financial aid eligibility after attempting 180 credits, including any transfer courses that apply to the degree program. Students in “pre” majors are limited to 90 attempted credits, while “undecided” majors are limited to 60 attempted credits. Please see the complete current SAP policy at

Return of Title IV Federal Financial Aid Funds

Federal student aid recipients who completely withdraw or fail to complete any courses during any semester at NSC are subject to the federal Return of Title IV Funds policy (R2T4). Also, failure to begin attendance or participation in a course may require a return of any funds awarded for that course. Federal law requires NSC to calculate the amount of grant or loan funds a student has earned up to the point of withdrawal. In some instances, students may owe funds back to NSC or the federal programs from which they received financial assistance. Please view the complete Return of Title IV Fund policy at

Veteran's Benefits

Veteran's Benefits (All Chapters) processing is handled through the Financial Aid Office by the VA Specialist. Please see the VA Benefits website ( for information on paperwork required for certification and contact information.

The Veterans Administration is authorized by law to provide a wide range of benefits to those who have served their country in the Armed Forces and to their dependents. You may be eligible for some of the benefits while attending Nevada State College:

Chapter 30 Category I: Montgomery GI Bill

  • You first entered active duty on or after July 1, 1985 and contributed $1,200 to the Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty Educational Assistance Program. You earned an honorable discharge at some time in your military career and your final discharge was no more than 10 years ago or you are currently on active duty. Some service members originally entitled to Chapter 32 benefits accepted the offer to convert to this category of benefits.
  • For more information:

Chapter 30 Category II: Montgomery GI Bill

  • You first entered active duty or went delayed enlistment, prior to January 1, 1977. You earned an honorable discharge at some time in your military career and your final discharge was no more than 10 years ago or you are currently on active duty.
  • For more information:

Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Program

  • You are making a claim for educational benefits under the VA Vocational Rehabilitation Program based on the belief that you have a service-connected disability.
  • For more information:

Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill

Chapter 35: Dependent Education Assistance

  • You are the surviving spouse or dependent of a veteran or serviceperson who: (1) died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces; or (2) died from any cause while such a service-connected disability was in existence; or (3) is missing in action or captured in the line of duty by hostile forces, or (4) is forcibly detained or interned in the line of duty by a foreign government of power.
  • For more information:

Chapter 1606: Selected Reserve Montgomery GI Bill

  • Chapter 1606, makes certain individuals who were activated after 09/11/2001 either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits. The Department of Defense (DOD), Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and VA are working on an implementation plan for this new benefit.
  • For more information:

Tuition Assistance

Financial Aid FAQs and Policies

A complete list of financial aid frequently asked questions and current policies can be found at Please contact our office at 702-992-2150 or with any questions.